BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Wow.  It's been a long time since I was so excited about a 374-page book that I read it in about a day and a half.  A day when I worked for over 8 hours!  I absolutely could not put this book down.  And when I did, I still felt like I was there, in Panem, sometime in our sad future.  Katniss is the perfect heroine and Collins' telling of the story could not be any more riveting.  The world she creates is one of sadness and despair but hope and joyful respect.  Her supporting characters are wonderful and any of them could run away with the story.  The landscape is described in a way that sucks you in and while it's so alien it is also completely recognizable.  The deprivation of District 12 sounds astounding.  People are going hungry and The Capitol isn't doing anything?  But isn't that exactly what happens here, now?  Aren't there spheres of our society that are as ignored, as beaten down?

I'm excited to see where the next two books will go.  I felt like I had to fly through this book just to see who survives The Games so I may be able to take the next one a little slower and enjoy the ride a little more. All I know is I'll be heading to Borders as soon as I'm done working...because I'm hooked!


View all my reviews


0 comments: